If, after reading the graduate information for the Department of Psychology, you would like to apply, click here to access the on-line application.
UVA/Psychology Department Admissions Process
To apply for admission to the graduate program in Psychology, you should:
- Using UVA’s on-line application, submit the application, personal statement, and Virginia In-state Privileges Application Form. Three letters of recommendation should be submitted electronically by your recommenders once your application has been submitted.
- Take the Graduate Record Examination (GRE) Verbal, Quantitative and Analytical Aptitude tests and arrange to have the Educational Testing Service (ETS) send your scores directly to UVA using the UVA ETS code number 5820. If you take the GRE test multiple times, UVA will use the highest score for each section. Attaching an unofficial copy of your test scores to your on-line application assures the department has them at time of application review.
- If your first language is not English, the TOEFL test is required. Arrange to have ETS send the scores to UVA using the UVA ETS code number 5820. Required TOEFL score is 600 (paper-based), 250 (computer-based) or 90 (internet-based). TOEFL scores are valid for two years from the test date. If you have received a degree from a U.S. college/university, you may email Debbie Snow at firstname.lastname@example.org to request to have the TOEFL score waived. Attaching a copy of your unofficial test scores to your on-line application assures the department has them at time of application review.
- Upload an unofficial copy of your transcript(s) to your on-line application. If you are admitted to our program, you will be asked to provide official transcripts at that time.
- $85 nonrefundable application processing fee paid with credit card. It is recognized that application fees can become prohibitively expensive and can be waived in special circumstances. If you are interested in applying for a fee waiver, contact the admission office via email email@example.com when you are ready to submit an application. Application fee waivers are granted to McNair, Teach of America, Peace Corps, Institute for the Recruitment of Teachers, Vietnam Education Foundation, AmeriCorps, LS-AMP Program. If you are eligible for a fee waiver, contact the admission office by December 1st via email firstname.lastname@example.org when you are ready to submit an application.
- Additional optional supporting documents other than listed above (i.e., writing sample, resume) should be attached to your on-line application. If the on-line application will not allow you to upload the documents, you may send them via US mail to Debbie Snow, Department of Psychology, P.O. Box 400400, University of Virginia, Charlottesville, VA 22904.
- To check the status of your application or to check that all documents have been received by UVA, go to the Graduate School of Arts and Sciences website and click, "Current Applicants can click https://app.applyyourself.com/AYApplicantLogin/fl_ApplicantConnectLogin.asp?id=uva-g here to access their online application."
ON-LINE APPLICATION DEADLINE: DECEMBER 15
If you should have any questions about the admissions process, please feel free to contact Ms. Debbie Snow, the Psychology Department Admissions Administrative Assistant at (434) 243-7635 or email@example.com. If you should have questions about the application function, please contact UVA’s Graduate Admission Office via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Applicants for admission will not be excluded on the basis of race, ethnic origin, sex, age, religion, or physical handicap.